2014-2013 IABR–Projectatelier Planet Texel is een samenwerking van de Internationale Architectuur Biennale Rotterdam (IABR) en de gemeente Texel, opgezet in het kader van IABR–2014–URBAN BY NATURE. Het ontwerpend onderzoek is verricht door la4sale en FARO Architecten.
Ontwikkeld door la4sale en FARO Architecten als onderdeel van IABR–2014–Projectatelier Planet Texel. In opdracht van de IABR en de gemeente Texel.
Pilot Nieuweschild, a concept by la4sale – images Hein van Lieshout, animated by Kris Kobes
URBAN by NATURE was the theme of the International Architecture Biennale Rotterdam (IABR) curated by landscape architect and professor Dirk Sijmons. The exposition was in museum De Kunsthal Rotterdam, designed by the renowned Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas.
Planet Texel – Landscape Architecture office LA4SALE was asked to design and research, in collaboration with Faro Architecten, the test case of the Dutch island Texel with the brief: “the earth, a garden”.
For more information:
LA4SALE asked Hein van Lieshout (Architectural Things) to collaborate and assist in the design and research process. Hein van Lieshout participated on the island as a whole, rethinking tourism and economy, the water system (sweat & salt) but his main focus came at the coastal defence of the Wadden Sea. Texel has 27km of dike, an old fashioned way of coastal defence. More then 18,5km dike provides insufficient protection.
The question is if new strategies of coastal defence can contribute to a sustainable future, concerning new ways of protection combining spatial qualities in relationship with tourism, economy, education and nature
The people from Texel always shaped their island, but the last 150 tear they contained the shape. With a changing paradigm, now there’s an urge to rethink and rebuild Texel! The Wadden Sea is a dynamic system in need for dynamic strategies: vistas that create a framework for the coming century.
1. Pollution metropolitan regions of London, Netherlands, Belgium & Ruhrgebiet – Nort Sea has clean air
2. Airport & Amsterdam, connecting Texel & Wadden Sea
3. God created the world, but the Texelaar created their island
4. “Vista Futura Texla”
5. Scenography of the Wadden coast – coastal defence & landscape qualities
6. Texel turning right
7. Suppletion & growing landscape replacing the dike, relating to potential toursim
8. Cascade dike, a new typology usable for saline cultivation (shellfish)
9. Bringing the village closer towards sea (idea FARO)
10. 5 windturbine of 3MW (50% electrical energy) & path for maintanance & touristic purposes
11. Innovation bay: algae farms (biofuel & food), wind energy, solar energy et cetera – testing on Texel
12. Maintanance path for touristic purposes & double use
13. Building with existing natural resources to create/help a huge platform of marshes
14. Newland for farming purposes (new “polder”)