2012 – While wondering about the usable open space in Amsterdam we asked ourselves the question: what to do with the Unesco-ranking of the ancient city centre?
Will this be the end of new development? Or does it mean that this boundary should be the beginning of the fulfilment of the ancient ideal city?
1. Urban monument – “grachtengordel” Amsterdam
2. Parks & public squares – ancient urban fabric Amsterdam
3. Tiding up ‘usable’ space of parcs & public squares
4. New development in line of tradition: filling up open space in water
5. Unesco 2.0 – fulfilment of the 17th century “Grachtengordel” (with “new” architectural idiom)
6. Ancient city vs. metropolitan city